Saturday, August 7, 2010

Awards for Candice & Islay Airport...

Apart from this trip being 100% surreal and breathtaking, there are one or two things I have learnt on this trip, which I believe I need an award for.
1: The Award for Living Light. My dear family in particular know that I just CAN'T pack light! Its a fact, just as there is night and day: I, Candice Baker: don't pack light. Now, for me to get by for 4 days with mere hand luggage, I do believe it should have snowed on Table
Mountain to commemorate this momentous 4 days!
2: The Award for understanding the STRONG Scottish accent on Islay. I don't know how foreigners (who don't have English as their mother tongue) get by on this 'wee island. My listening skills were stretched. To their limits and I actually laughed a few times last night @ dinner listening to locals conversations... I laughed because I could not eavesdrop as... And they were speaking ENGLISH, my mother tongue! Throw in some distilling terminology, and what can I say, I should maybe have hired a translator... None the less, I had conversations with locals, learned finer details @ the distilleries, and fell in love.
Don't get too excited, did not fall for a strapping young lad in a kilt, I fell in love with Islay.
The hospitality has been phenomenal, the kindness and warmth was 100% genuine. These people live an enviable simple life, its safe, its beautiful, there is a beautiful slow life that resonates through the island. Maybe this adds to the beauty and mystique of Islay whisky... Its not just the peat folks, its a magical whisky island, filled with great, passionate people. If you ever come to Scotland, Islay is a quick 40min flight, well worth it! ( Tip: I have travelled quite some in my life, and the security search on Islay is the most intense I have EVER faced. Brace your self: they searched my hand luggage with a fine tooth and comb, I did have a little laugh: I was @ the smallest airport I've ever departed from, on an Island 95% of the world probably don't know of, being searched as if I was Osama bin Laden (in disguise.) It beats New York and London for security. The last award is to the Islay Airport: best security check in the world!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment