Thursday, August 5, 2010

Women on whisky

































CAPTIONS:
The Ardbeg Collection
A wee dram
I received the full range tasting
The Chairman's Study, the private tasting room I was treated to.
The Ardbeg Spirit Safe
The Lauter blades which mix the barley and and the water in the Mash Tun
Outside Ardbeg... no these barrels don't have spirit in them
Um.... Ardbeg?.....


So far, I have been to 4 very different unique distilleries and been guided by 4 VERY clued up passionate women. Varying ages, but all oozing passion, intensity and love for how this magical spirit comes to life! Today @ Ardbeg I was once again led by a phenomenal women, Jackie Thompson. We had a one on one tour of the distillery, first though a long in-depth chat about the industry and how perceptions and ideas have changed over the years in this rather small niche industry. Everything from 'what's a women's preferred dram' to the level of knowledge that your whisky lover develops through not necessarily drinking more, but a wider variety of the better malts!
Then, as it too was in silent season, I got the full tour with minimal noise and no tour group interruptions. There volume output is the smallest I have encountered so far, only 2 stills(1 wash, 1 spirit still) but I suppose this is one of the factors that gives Ardbeg such a cult following, it does a few phenomenal expressions, ALL with an interesting and entertaining background and none are simply made to 'bring out a new expressions' as quite a few brands tend to do now a days.
I then did an in-depth tasting in their "chairman's study" (by appointment only) photos will be uploaded shortly! Great nook to discover some of the rarer Ardbegs!
In their wonderful shop I purchased the new Ardbeg Supernova 2010. Stunning cask strength (60.1%)whisky for Bascule. I know @ least one of my whisky members who will be utterly excited by this...oh and some gorgeous leather coasters for my whisky @ home ( dear Brother, please chuck those silly plastic ones away... Merci)
Just checked into Port Charlotte Hotel, stunning!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment