Tuesday, October 5, 2010

When it all gets too much, go back to your passion....

And once again today was filled with a few interesting facets… I tasted a brand new Highland Park ( I won’t reveal my sources….) but it was a cask strength edition( no… it was not their new 50 year old beauty, sadly)How can I describe it? I would compare it to their 12, but not as superbly balanced, and a bit less smoke. But a good expression none the less…. So thank you dear source, you made a hectic day a bit , nay, a lot more pleasant.

The next facet, was tasting a spirit in the development process ( certainly here I will NOT reveal my sources) however what I will highlight is how complicated it can get…
It’s literally compared to a blind nosing and tasting, and the fact that the product is not even on the market yet, you have to try decipher where you personally think it will fit in the huge spirit market…. Coming from my whisky background/palate, I am rather biased to complicated layered flavours. Not saying the mystery spirit did not have that, but it was a touch on the sweeter side, which made me feel personally ,it would suite a women’s palate a bit more than an established (predominantly male)whisky drinkers slightly more varied palate. Now I suppose that “women statement” comes as a bit of a shock, I am not in any way belittling my sex, but just stating fact: generally women do prefer a sweeter dram/drink than a bold, peaty smoky dram/wine.. I know I am quite an exception to the rule ( give me a Laphroaig or a Lagavulin any day) but you have to look at the general consensus, and that is that women prefer sweeter milder whisky, and men quite often prefer more smoky, complex ,bolder ‘Scottish ‘ whiskies… None the less , it was very interesting and allowed me to at least personally dig deeper and discover ,just what is it that makes a whisky drinker chose a particular dram over another…

For me personally, it’s very much occasion or mood dependant. Today I had a long day at work, and over the last few weeks I have had a bit of soul searching/a tad more emotional reflective time, and now on the eve before my 25th birthday, my dram of choice is a Lagavulin 16. Paired with my steak pasta, its beautiful, its real, its hitting that spot, it’s challenging me in a way, but also comforting me, almost like its saying, relax, put your feet up, everything happens just as it should….
And the last portion of my day, was truly lovely. I spent time with a whisky member and his Irish friend. We discussed the Johnnie Walker range, and questioned the fuss over Chivas, he bought a bottle of Nikka Kingsland, a well priced and very decent Japanese whisky, that’s flying with my whisky members. We nosed a selection of Bourbon ( Knob Creek 9, really does have a stunning nose), and I introduced him to gentle mystical world of Bunnahabhain. Bunnahbahain, a wonderful malt because: to a novice, it’s a surprise. Yes, it’s from Islay, but no, it’s not a big smack of smoke, it’s a gentle multitude of vanilla, honey, fruit, floral, malt, balanced and amazingly harmonious on the palate and nose.

So now as I move onto my Macallan Re-awakening, (available from the distillery only and website only) I say goodnight as a 24 year old, and will bring you more whisky affairs as a 25 year old….

Slainte

No comments:

Post a Comment