Sunday, October 3, 2010

New Inspiration

A creative, PR friend of mine, inspired me to start writing again. I felt after my trip, I could not tell much more of an exciting story…. But whisky is exciting, and I am immersed in the wonderful golden spirit as part of my job…. So here it goes…

Over the past few days, I have had a few guests fall in love with my tales from my Scotland, their passion for my stories made me swell with pride, as I once again realize how exceptionally lucky I am to have experienced Scotland. There are people who have spent their life ( i.e 25 years, and I am a mere 25) drinking Scotch , falling in love with i, and yearning to set foot in Scotland.

My journey, looking back was so mind-blowing, it really was a priceless journey, filled with joys of tasting whisky straight from the cask, wandering through Macallan’s barley fields, absorbing the aroma of freshly brewed “wash”…. These experiences allow one to evolve, understand and fall for the “water of life” on a different level.

Today I spent the afternoon chatting to an American gentlemen who has immersed himself in the wonderful world of whisky, his passion and interest was truly wonderful to feed off. We chatted casks, we chatted Irish , and then we tasted: Red Breast, Glenfarclas 21 ( he was a Macallan 18 man, but was pleasantly impressed with the wonders of the Speyside gem: Glenfarclas) and of course, Highland Park 18 thrown in for that wow factor.

It still amazes me how much Highland Park blows people away… I have on numerous occasions even converted non-whisky drinking ladies, to enjoy a Highland Park 12… This dram; explained, and introduced properly wins people over in most of my tastings. The delicate balance between the smoky notes and honey hints, married and beautifully matured in sherry casks is a rare “ideal” whisky. Highland Park is a treasure: just waiting for more whisky drinkers to fall in love with it, and discover it slowly , with friends, lovers, and fellow whisky admirers.


Two weeks ago, we hosted a Compass Box Whisky Blending evening for the Bascule Whisky Members. My colleague George was on a mission to try blend, the most balanced whisky… And what do you think came to my mind?.... Yes, you guessed it, Highland Park. It did not take much persuasion, as George very much knows and appreciate the fine malt. So we blended and tasted and blended, “a bit more sherry cask whisky, a bit more peaty whisky, a touch more water”…. Oh my, I do realize blending is a full on art, but hell folks, it was tough. I must admit, I was very much like a kid in a candy store, it was so exciting and overwhelming. However in the long run, I did think our blend was well balanced, it certainly had that Highland Park element to it, maybe another measure of water was needed, to bring it down from a ‘cask strength’ to a regular whisky.

I must reiterate blending is an art, next time you have a sip of a blend, or a single malt, think how much time and effort has gone into making it taste “just right” let alone the years and years it spent maturing, waiting in anticipation to be included into a fine dram….

Slainte

Ps Thanks Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment