Monday, August 2, 2010

Lost luggage, Scotland's tallest stills, and some traditional highland living...











Well, what can I say... This morning I turned into a world class sprinter , as I was directed from 1 terminal to the next, JUST before check in time closed... Seriously people, I'm no sprinter, I'm sure u know, ! Guys but today I would have given Casta a run for her money...
Finally on board,all well, got a lovely window seat, so for the first time I could see the magnificent Scottish landscape from a birds eye-view!
Landed @ the quaint Inverness airport... Alas, no luggage, filled out forms, and pretended (for my sanity)that - that did not happen. Merc picks me up, wonderful drive through the Scottish highlands. Stunning fields of Barley, old stone churches, and onto my first distillery: Glenmorangie.
Folks, this place is stunning! I got a 'one on one' guided tour with Annette, visitor centre manager.
A wonderful women who's been there 15 years! As I arrived I peaked into the still room! Magical! The tallest stills in Scotland staring straight back @ me! (Pics will all be uploaded upon my return...) To finally get to see the mashing, so see where the wort is created and collected, surreal! The malty aroma as you move though the room, it guides you around. (It does smell a tad like ProNutro, for those of you who wish you too could have experienced it, eat ProNutro tomorrow )Had a touch of initiation, when Annette opened the washback (stainless steel) and said "go on take a sniff" was that an intense aroma or what...?No words people, no words! Literally- knocks you back, the alcohol level @ that point only is @ about 14% but there are NO words to describe that intense alcohol that smacks you through the face...But hell, its stunning experience!! Annette then took me to the still room where there are 12 breath taking copper pot-stills (originally Gin still) starring back @ you! 6 wash stills and 6 spirit stills ( over the years they have had to increase the number of stills to keep up with production, so now there are 12 in all there height and glory!)
I finally got to see new make spirit being drawn, literally running from a tap (still clear + colourless @ this point) into the Spirit safe. Crazy really, the amount of times I have explained this process , passionately to guests , and now to have seen it first hand is just what I needed!
Glenmorangie is a special place, fathers, sons and daughters,often seem to stay on generation after generation and work on site! Phenomenal for a distillery that was legally started in 1843.
I might just add that I am writing this blog whilst having dinner @ Glenmorangie House, a breathtaking spot 15 min from the distillery that they treat their 'kinda important ' guests to...
Just sat down + had Glenmorangie Sonnalta (not available in SA, stunning dram!) as a pre-drink. I have now sat down to the most delicious Chardonnay from Argentina and a bread that will BLOW your mind. Ardbeg Grist, it literally has the draff of the Barley used in making Ardbeg, in it!
Its mind blowing, you can taste a hint of peat, but in the most subtle, luxurious flavour!
Starter: stunning local fish with a veg ratatoullie. The chardonnay pre-selected is the perfect partner. Now onto the Shiraz, its from Aus, owned by Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesey ( same company that owns Glenmorangie + Ardbeg) called Green Point, 2006, vintage. It accompanies a beef fillet... Need to tuck in smells heavenly( truffle scented jus I suppose does that...) Um... 100% flavour: beef= medium rare, blanched spinach, truffle jus, perfect potato rosti, and a mushroom thing (too much to explain)...I'm in foodie heaven! Setting, by the way:window overlooks stunning green garden, beyond that is a barley encrusted hill that flows down onto the Moray Firth ( most Northerly part of UK where u can get bottle nose dolphins... No, I did not see one, but hotel Manager tells me so...)
Pineapple Sorbet to cleanse...
Now dessert : Sonnalta PX pannacota!Subtle , sexy ( I don't know? Can a pannacotta be sexy?) just beautiful, want more!
Day one of Scotland almost over.. Magnificent! Speechless! Now I'll retire to a dram or 2 in the lounge, Glenmorangie 25 ,and a fireplace, now that's the life... Slainte
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment