Sunday, August 8, 2010

Whirlwind coming to an end...

I arrived in the scenic town of Pitlochry and set off on foot to the Blair Athol distillery (one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland,92% goes into the world famous Bells) and only 8% into the wonderful Blair Athol single malt. Due to a tiny mis-communication back in SA, I did not think they were expecting me... So I paid the £5 entrance happily,however the young lads behind the counter put 2 and 2 together (Um, how many young South African women would be travelling on their own to visit Blair Athol...exactly) as soon as they discovered "who I was" I was given the VIP tour (really just means not with the masses.) I , by this time am rather used to seeing computer screens assisting in the whisky making process, @ Blair Athol they are only introducing that now. Many of the Diageo distilleries do very high volumes of distillation and therefore mature casks 'off-site' due to lack of maturation warehouses . This is not the case with Blair Athol, all their new make spirit is matured on site, the spirit intended for Bells however is tankered away to be matured else where.
Now I tried my very best to get more as to what's in Bells( yes, yes, its not my dram of choice, but one has to face facts; its what most entry level whisky drinkers in SA start off with.) I got nothing, apart from the facts that Bells is matured in ex-boubon casks(off-site, he could not give me number of years) and Blair Athol new make spirit is matured on site in European Oak sherry casks. I tried their cask strength whisky ( only available @ the distillery shop) 55% alc, no age statement, great fruity,sherry flavours, usually I would prefer my cask strength with a splash of water, this time round the water was not preferred...( Photos will be uploaded Thursday, stunning distillery!)
And so my Whirlwind Whisky Tour is coming to an end. I sadly have no more distillery visits left. I do however have a whisky bar or 2 to hit in London town... And that I will be sure to report back on. Now, on the train back to Edinburgh to catch my evening flight to London. Scotland you have found a very special place in my heart (ya,ya soppy I know, but its true)
A few memories I will take with me:
The friendly, helpful locals, the fresh country side smells, the magical sweet aromas in the distilleries, the smell of peated barley, the magical Macallan Haggis, the surplus of smoked salmon I consumed,my first time in Wellies ( I flippin loved it) Glenmorangie's tall stills, the peat bogs in Islay, the warm peaty Lagavulin beer (wash) I tried,the views from my bed in Glenmorangie House and Port Charlotte Hotel, pouring myself a wee dram straight from the cask @ Caol Ila and tasting whiskies straight from the casks @ Bunnahbhain.
Its been magical, Scotland, and I will be back.
Slainte.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment